Denison Police Department Opportunity
The Denison Iowa Police Department will be accepting applications for a police officer. There is no current position available. This testing will be used to develop a list of eligible applicants for any future openings that may occur in the next year. Applications to be eligible for testing need to be returned to the Police Department at 1119 1st Ave N, Denison Iowa 51442 by 5:00 pm on February 5, 2021, with testing on February 20, 2021. Applications may be obtained on the City of Denison Iowa website, www.denisonia.com, or at the Police Department. For questions, please contact the Chief of Police at 712-263-3195. The Denison Police Department is an equal opportunity employer.
KDSN Radio Opportunity
KDSN Radio News Director - Essential Functions
KDSN is seeking an aggressive newshound and creative storyteller with the talent, energy, and leadership to lead the local news team. He/she is responsible for consistent coverage of local news and driving innovative features and stories of local interest. They will:
- Work closely with the General Manager to incorporate the station’s vision into a well-articulated and strategic news plan. Write, communicate, and execute weekly/monthly/quarterly news plans to ensure 360° coverage of a variety of community issues. Work with GM and other managers to establish newsroom goals and work to develop and further the station's news brand in West Central Iowa.
- Produce in-depth radio news features and multi-media/multi-platform journalism for KDSN. The news director writes/prepares local news stories for broadcast on KDSN as well as regional radio outlets and all related KDSN digital and social sites. Oversee production of newscasts and special programming from start to finish. Explore social, political, economic, and ecological issues of interest to West Central Iowa listeners.
- Attend community events, local governmental and other scheduled meetings to establish viable news sources and build relationships with key stakeholders.
- Anchor/produce several newscasts each weekday, including 7 am, 9am, Noon, 5pm, and other shifts to be determined. The news director supervises part-time correspondents and student interns, helping them develop and hone their reporting and presentation skills.
- Assume the role as the main point of contact for Weather and weather-related emergency events. He/she is the 24/7 lead for the station in making sure we provide live updates on critical situations in our listening area.
- Demonstrate strong writing skills and have a proven track record for organizing and getting results on initiatives.
- Archive and maintain records of daily broadcasts; Maintain “Issues and Programs” list and quarterly uploads to FCC public file.
- Maintain a working knowledge of journalistic ethics, libel, and privacy laws
As News Director/Manager you will also:
- Write original copy, edit external scripts, and prepare for on-air and digital.
- Communicate monthly news plans and goals and work closely with Broadcast Team members to ensure a seamless listener experience between news, talk shows, and all original programming.
- Set up daily feedback loop with GM & others to ensure quality control and brand compliance
- Always question the content, accuracy, and fairness of incoming scripts and web stories.
- Create tactics and strategies to increase listener/viewer engagement for on-air/digital
- Evaluate workflow efficiencies and focus on continuous improvement
- Be investigative and enterprise reporting-driven
- Demonstrate a passion for social media
- Problem solver and team player
- Great people skills with an emphasis on teambuilding.
- Produce & use quality photographs to supplement your reporting and be technically skilled and proficient in the use of digital audio editing software.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relay important and compelling stories by incorporating such elements as natural sound and voice actualities into their reports.
Additional Duties/ Flexible Work Schedule
- They are a highly visible key ambassador and link for KDSN to the community and must always dress and behave professionally.
- Production work to support other aspects of station operation including commercials & promotions.
- Remain available to assume on-air shifts as needed to support Broadcast Team.
- Provides back up for on-air, production, and sports team members. This is a small station and we encourage and depend on cross- training and pollination.
- Available for scheduled and on-call weekend shifts, as necessary.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism with two (2) years radio/news reporting. Will consider a combination of education and work experience.
Other: Excellent verbal and written communication skills and excellent grammar. Ability to multi-task. A great storyteller. Even-tempered. Open-minded w/ ability to see both sides of a story and gain trust of interviewees. Highly curious about how things work. Open to feedback and direction. Passionate about practicing for perfection and continuous improvement. Zeal for creating “best of class” radio.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Crawford County Broadcasting Corp. and KDSN Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on merit, competence, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, retaliation, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
If you would like assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at 712.263.3141.